Perfect for sandwiches or hamburgers, these rolls will be the hit of your picnic! They are soft and light on the inside with a slightly crispy crust topped with a burst of flavor.
The dough is easy to make, and is very versatile–perfect for bread sticks, pizza crust, or one lovely round loaf of French bread.
1 1/4 cups very warm water
2 teaspoons sugar (divided)
1 package active dry yeast
2 teaspoons olive oil
3 1/4 cups bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
1 teaspoons garlic salt
1 tablespoon Gomasio (or sesame seeds)
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1. In a large bowl, combine the water and sugar. Sprinkle yeast over the top and let it sit for about 10 minutes, or until foamy.
2. Add the olive oil, 1 cup of bread flour, and salt. Beat well. If you are using a stand mixer, switch to your bread hook at this point.
3. Add 2 cups bread flour and mix until combined. By electric mixer, knead with the dough hook for 5-6 minutes or until elastic. If the dough is too sticky to handle, add the final 1/4 cup flour and knead for an additional minute. Dough should come cleanly away from the side of the bowl. If kneading by hand, place dough on generously floured surface and knead for 7-8 minutes, or until elastic.
4. Place dough in greased bowl. Cover and let the dough rise until doubled – about 1 hour.
5. Prepare two baking sheets by greasing them lightly and sprinkling lightly with cornmeal.
6. Punch down the dough and roll it out on a floured surface to measure about 1/3-inch thick.
7. Cut out stars with large cutter (or make rounds with a large round biscuit cutter) and place them at least 1 ½ inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
8. In a small bowl, combine the cheddar cheese, the garlic salt, and the Gomasio. Brush each roll lightly with melted butter (the corner of a paper towel works well for this) and sprinkle with the cheese mixture.
9. Allow rolls to rise until almost double – about 45 minutes.
10. Heat oven to 400 F.
11. Bake one pan at a time until the rolls are golden brown – about 15 minutes. Cool on a rack.
Makes approximately 14-16
Check out my other recipes in the food section of Celeb Baby Laundry.