Do you want to teach your children about Mardi Gras? Why don’t you throw a small kid-friendly Mardi Gras party at home this year? It’s a simple and great activity for kids to take part in!
For our Mardi Gras celebration, I decided to create this fun cookie. My daughter seems to love GIANT cookies and I try to adapt my cookie recipe for different occasions. This giant cookie has all the favorite colors of the celebration – purple, green and gold. Be sure to to explain to your children while baking that these colours were chosen by the king of the carnival in 1892 – declaring, purple for justice, green for faith and gold for power.
This Mardi Gras cookie doesn’t require a lot of ingredients, so it’s easy to make with small children. The sprinkles on top of the cookie can be found at Amazon or local chain retailers. If you don’t have time purchase the sprinkles feel free to skip this step!
1 stick of softened butter
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 Teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
Green, purple, and yellow food coloring
Yellow, green, purple, and white sprinkles (Confetti)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
2. Cut out a circle from parchment paper and place of inside the your circle cake pan
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix together your butter and sugar
4. Now mix in your egg and vanilla extract
5. Add in your flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt then mix
7. Add 1 drop of each food coloring to each bowl and mix
8. Scoop out a little of each dough and press it into the bottom of your pan until your pan bottom is covered in dough
9. Press your Sprinkles into your cookie after it is in the pan
10. Cook for 10 minutes
11. Let cool and carefully turn upside down to get your cookie out of your pan