What better way to get kids excited about cooking and healthy eating than this fun Cookbook from National Geographic Kids!
Written by Barton Seaver, a master chef and National Geographic Explorer, children go on a year-round culinary adventure that will sure to have them ruling the kitchen in no time! Highlights include planing a kitchen garden, hosting a dinner, how to pack the perfect school lunch and more.
The cookbook is geared towards children between the ages of 8 and 12. Although, with the help of parents I think the book is suitable to introduce to younger children. The cookbook activities are also a great way to get siblings to join in on some fun together.
As with all National Geographic Kids books, the cookbook provides profiles on real people, and cool facts to keep children questioning and exploring the world around them. The pictures that accompany each activity and recipe in the cookbook are also colorful and of high quality as other books from the series
One particular area of the book I enjoyed, is the festive holiday food themed activities. The recipes are simple enough for kids to make and a great kitchen activity for the whole family to take part in. This spooky pizza, which is included in the cookbook is a perfect recipe for kids to make for Halloween.
Jack-o’-Lantern Personal Pita Pizzas
Prep: 15 minutes / Cook: 10 minutes / Serves: 4
- 4 10-inch whole wheat pita breads
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 8 ounces grated cheese (provolone,
- mozzarella, or a blend work fine)
Toppings of your choice. Check out the picture above for ideas.
1. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Place the pitas on a baking tray. Spread a good amount (about ¼ cup) of the pizza sauce on each pita, leaving about a ½-inch crust. Sprinkle the cheese over the sauce.
2. Decorate your pizza with your jack-o’-lantern face and take a picture of the pizza before baking it. Place the tray in the hot oven and watch it cook, waiting until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 7–10 minutes.
3. Remove it from the oven and take another picture so that you have a before and after shot! Carefully cut the pizza into pieces and enjoy. Any remaining sauce can be used as a dipping sauce for the “crust.”
The National Geographic Kids Cookbook: A Year-Round FUN Food Adventure can purchased at the National Geographic Store.
Celeb Baby Laundry is giving (1) lucky reader a copy of National Geographic Kids Cookbook: A Year-Round FUN Food Adventure.
The contest is open to residents of the United States and Canada. To enter this giveaway please use the giveaway box below (takes time to load).
Disclosure: I am part of the National Geographic Kids Insider program. I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.