We all strive to eat healthier throughout the day. However, with all the brownies and goodies out in the world, being pregnant and eating healthy can be a real struggle! Eating healthy is the best thing you can do for your baby! But what do you eat? Here is a list of 5 healthiest foods to eat during your pregnancy:
1. Eggs: Eggs are protein packed and good for you. Eat the entire egg, though, yolk and all (you can hold the shell). The yolk contains important nutrients for healthy brain growth, which also aid in reducing neural tube defects.
2. Greek yogurt: This is a healthy snack high in protein, too! As long as it’s natural, the live active cultures help to fight off infection, keeping you (and baby!) healthier. Add some fruit for a tastier treat.
3. Colorful fruits and veggies: Eat your veggies (and fruits) like your mama always told you! Green is always good: veggies green in color aid in metabolism. Celery specifically helps in lowering blood pressure, which if you are prone to high blood pressure and are pregnant, can’t hurt. Oranges, broccoli and bananas are great choices as well.
4. Beans and Lentils: These tiny foods pack protein, which will keep you full longer. You can eat them alone or top your salad with them. You can even add them to whole grain or brown rice dishes! Beans also have a lot of fiber, which can help with constipation (one of the lovely side effects of pregnancy no one really tells you about).
5. Oatmeal: No, not the sugary kind that comes with its own flavor, but the plain kind. Add fruits like raspberries, cut up apples, or blueberries for flavor. Don’t feel like fruit? Maple syrup is good as well, but don’t use too much. Swap this for your bagel or muffin in the morning, and it will keep you satisfied longer – plus, it’ll give you energy! Who couldn’t use some energy?!
Staying healthy during pregnancy isn’t rocket science, and it doesn’t have to be too difficult. Keep in mind that whole foods are best, and anything processed should be limited. There’s no reason to deprive yourself completely, though! Enjoy your pregnancy: stay active and healthy and you’ll bounce back so much faster!
What was your “go to” healthy food while you were pregnant? Leave me a note in the comments!