Which US National Parks Require A Reservation This Summer?

Glacier National Park, Montana

A visit to a national park is one of the best ways to social distance while enjoying gorgeous views and adventure, but you may need to book in advance.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, US National Parks are increasing in popularity. Let’s face it, there is no better way to enjoy the fresh air and beautiful scenery, while socially distancing. However, because the parks are becoming more popular, you can’t just turn up, as many require a reservation

A number of parks are implementing ticketed entry systems for day visitors to prevent overcrowding and to facilitate social distancing. Potential visitors should bear in mind that most of these tickets need to be purchased in advance. The following are the current requirements for some of the most popular US National Parks.

Glacier National Park, Montana

Located in the Rocky Mountains, Glacier is among the most spectacular national parks in the country. A ticketed vehicle entry system is being implemented from May 28 to September 6. This gives access to the historic Going-to-the-Sun Road – a 50-mile journey with amazing views and which offers drivers access to some of the best sights in the Rockies.

Acadia National Park, Maine

Day visitors entering by car or motorcycle via Camas Road, St. Mary, or West Glacier between 6 am and 5 pm will need a $2 reservation ticket, in addition, to park entry fees. Tickets are valid for seven days and 75 percent of the reservations are available 60 days in advance since April 29. The remaining 25 percent will be available two days in advance.

Acadia National Park, Maine

Located in New England, Acadia National Park is one of the most popular in the country. Here, visitors can take in the sunrise from the top of Cadillac Mountain, with its gorgeous views over the Atlantic Sea.

Vehicle reservations are set to be required to access Acadia National Park from May 26 through October 19. Visitors have two options to choose from. One is a two-hour sunrise reservation, to take in the stunning views mentioned above. The time frame changes from 3:30 am to 5:30 am as daybreak times alter, so is only for early birds.

Zion National Park, Utah

The second option is a daytime reservation with a 30-minute entry window. In this case, 30 percent of entry slots are released 90 days in advance, with the remainder available two days prior to each date. Reservations cost $6, which does not include park entry fees.

Zion National Park, Utah

Famous for its soaring red and white cliffs in Zion Canyon, Zion National Park is one of the most dramatic natural wonders in southern Utah. Visitors can hike downriver through the Narrows Gorge or make the 1,500 ft climb to Angels Landing for spectacular views.

Some areas of Zion National Park require reservations this summer. The Scenic Drive and upper Zion Canyon are closed to vehicles. This means visitors must make a reservation for the park’s $1 shuttle service to access the sights.

Yosemite National Park, California

Tickets are available on the 16th and the last day of each month, while some are available online at 5 pm, 24-hours in advance. Visitors will board at the main visitor center and from then on, they can hop on or hop off during the day. The park will also make a limited number of shuttle tickets available at the visitor center between 2 pm and 4 pm each day.

Yosemite National Park, California

Yosemite National Park is renowned for its massive granite rock formations, including El Capitan and Half Dome. It is also known for its spectacular waterfalls. From May 21 through September 30, this park is implementing a ticketing system for day visitors entering by private vehicle.

The $2 permit is valid for three days and between the hours of 5 am and 11 pm and doesn’t include park entrance fees. Initial ticket sales opened on April 21. A limited number of reservations will become available seven days prior to the desired entry date.

Find out more information on which other parks require reservations from the official Recreation.gov website.

Share your thoughts in the comments section below, on our Facebook, Instagram Twitter, and Pinterest!

Be Sure To Watch Our Favorite Travel Vlog – The Go To Family