Disney’s Dumbo is an upcoming live-action, family, adventure, fantasy movie that will be released in movie theaters on March 29, 2019. The movie is loosely based on the 1941 animated movie of the same name. But, exactly why should you take your kids to see this movie? Here are 10 great reasons why.
1) Tim Burton is directing the movie: If you have never seen a movie that Tim Burton directed, you are missing out! He has directed some great movies, including:
1990- Edward Scissorhands
2001- Planet of the Apes
2005- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
2016- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children
2) The movie features an all-star cast: There are probably 3 names that you’ll recognize in this movie- Colin Farrell, Michael Keaton and Danny DeVito.
Colin Farrell – Colin Farrell has had several lead movie roles over the years, including:
2002- Hart’s War as Lieutenant Thomas Hart
2003- Daredevil as Bullseye
2003- Phone Booth as Stu Shepard
2003- The Recruit as James Clayton
2006- Miami Vice as Detective Sonny Crockett
Michael Keaton- Besides Beetlejuice and Batman, Keaton has had numerous other lead movie roles, including:
1983- Mr. Mom as Jack Butler
1998- Jack Frost as Jack Frost
2014- Birdman as Riggan Thomson
2015- Spotlight as Robby Robinson
2016- The Founder as Ray Kroc
— Entertainment Weekly (@EW) June 13, 2018
Danny DeVito – DeVito scored his claim to fame starring in the sitcom- Taxi- playing the lead role of Louie De Palma. Currently, he stars as Frank Reynolds in the sitcom- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Besides Batman, DeVito has had numerous lead movie roles over the years, including:
1986- Ruthless People as Sam Stone
1987- Throw Momma From the Train as Owen Lift
1988- Twins as Vincent Benedict
1996- Matilda as Harry Wormwood
2006- Deck the Halls as Buddy Hall
3) Tim Burton has worked with a few of the cast previously: So, why is this important or even relevant? Because a movie director who has worked with actors and actresses in the past, already know how they work, how they act, how they behave. They already have some kind of established relationship. Burton has worked with Danny DeVito and Michael Keaton 3 times in the past. He has also worked with Eva Green twice and Alan Arkin once previously.
Danny DeVito – Plays the role of Max Medici in Dumbo.
1992- Batman Returns as Oswald Copplepot/The Penguin
1996- Mars Attacks as Rude Gambler
2003- Big Fish as Amos Calloway
Michael Keaton- Plays the role of V.A. Vandevere in Dumbo.
1988- Beetlejuice as Betelgeuse
1989- Batman as Bruce Wayne/Batman
1992- Batman Returns as Bruce Wayne/Batman
Eva Green- Plays the role of Colette Marchant in Dumbo.
2012- Dark Shadows as Angelique Bouchard
2016- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children as Miss Alma Peregrine
Alan Arkin- Plays the role of J. Griffin Remington in Dumbo.
1990- Edward Scissorhands as Bill Boggs
4) The major character in the movie is a human: In the original 1941 movie, the main character is of course, Dumbo. However, this time around, it seems that a human- Holt Farrier- is the movie’s central character.
5) Dumbo isn’t like other Disney reboots: Many Disney fans have said that previous Disney live-action reboots (there are currently 7) don’t really seem to change much, telling the same story. However, this time around, Dumbo is set to be different because it will focus on what happens to Dumbo after the events of the original 1941 movie.
— Dumbo (@Dumbo) June 14, 2018
6) Dumbo will be released by Walt Disney Pictures: Walt Disney Pictures – need I say more? Walt Disney Pictures has released some of the best movie of all time, including:
1937- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
1953- Peter Pan
1989- The Little Mermaid
1994- The Lion King
7) Danny Elfman will score Dumbo: Danny Elfman is a composer, record producer, singer and songwriter, who is most famous for his movie scores. He has won 24 BMI Film & Television Awards for composing the music for top movies, including:
1997- Mission: Impossible
2000- Sleepy Hollow
2007- Charlotte’s Web
8) The movie is based on a children’s book: Dumbo is based on the 1939 children’s book- Dumbo, the Flying Elephant- by Helen Aberson. Throughout the years, there have been a number of successful movie that were based on children’s books. These movies include:
Alice in Wonderland – The 2010 movie- Alice in Wonderland- is based on the 1865 book- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll and the 2016 movie sequel- Alice Through the Looking Glass- is based on the 1871 book- Through the Looking-Glass, also by Lewis Carroll.
Bambi– The 1942 movie- Bambi- is based on the 1923 book- Bambi, A Life in the Woods by Felix Salten.
Charlotte’s Web- Both the 1973 movie- Charlotte’s Web- and the 2006 movie- Charlotte’s Web- are based on the 1952 book- of the same name- by E.B. White.
Harry Potter– All of the Harry Potter movies- 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011- are based on the book series- 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2005 and 2007- by J.K. Rowling.
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory– Both the 1971 movie- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and the 2005 movie- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory- are based on the 1964 book- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl.
— Dumbo (@Dumbo) June 14, 2018
9) The movie features an elephant: Since modern elephants have been around for about 5 million years, it goes without saying that over the years, there have been numerous movies made that featured the elephant. These movies include:
1937- Elephant Boy- The main star- Kala Nag- is an elephant.
1967- The Jungle Book- Colonel Hathi is an Indian bull elephant.
1999- Tarzan- Tantor, Tarzan’s best friend, is an elephant.
2005- Pooh’s Heffalump Movie- Lumpy the Heffalump, Roo’s best friend, is an elephant.
2008- Horton Hears a Who- Horton is an elephant.
10) Dumbo’s movie trailer produced some awesome quotes: Okay, so far, there has only been a teaser movie trailer that has been released, but it really has produced a few awesome quotes nonetheless.
Milly Farrier says to Dumbo– “We’re all family here. No matter how small.”
At the circus, Milly Farrier tells Dumbo– “Here, Dumbo. Show them.” As Dumbo then flies through the air and everyone stares in awe.”
Text in the movie trailer– “In 2019, a beloved tale will take you to new heights.”
Dumbo releases in theatres on March 29, 2019.
Are you excited about this new Disney reboot? Will you be taking your children to see the new Disney Live-Action Dumbo?