Patriotic Independence Day PB&J Snack
July 4th is just around the corner and that means it’s time to start thinking of festive snacks to make for the kiddos! This pinterest-inspired PBJ is a fun way to celebrate a holiday picnic or lunch! The kids will definitely have fun making it! Included is my mother’s homemade recipe for honey wheat bread.
MOM’S HOMEMADE HONEY WHEAT BREAD
– this recipe will make 2 large loaves
10 cups whole wheat flour
2 Tablespoons dry yeast
4 cups warm water (must be warm, hot water will kill the yeast)
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup honey
1 Tablespoon salt
1. Add 1/2 of the flour (5 cups) and the yeast into your mixer and pulse until mixed well.
2. Add the warm water and mix for 1 minute.
3. Cover mixing bowl and let dough “proof” for 10 minutes.
4. Add the oil, honey and salt to the raised dough.
5. Mix until blended.
6. Add the rest of the flour, 1 cup at a time, until the dough begins to form into a big ball.
7. Knead for 8-10 minutes.
8. Preheat oven to 150 degrees.
9. Grease your hands with Pam or oil and divide the bread dough in half, shaping into 2 loaves.
10. Place each shaped loaf in a pan.
11. Place both bread pans in the oven.
12. Turn off the oven.
13. Let bread rise until double in size – about 20 minutes.
14. Turn oven back on to 350 degrees and bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
15. Remove pans from oven and place on wire racks to cool.
PATRIOTIC PBJ INGREDIENTS
4 slices honey wheat bread, toasted (recipe I used is above)
Whipped Cream Cheese (I used the Philadelphia brand)
Strawberry preserves (I used Smuckers squeeze style…it was easier to apply to the bread)
2 Bananas, peeled, sliced in half lengthwise and then sliced in half again
1. Toast the bread
2. Spread the whipped cream cheese on each piece of bread
3. Place the blueberries in 3 even rows in the upper left hand corners to resemble the stars of the flag
4. Squeeze the strawberry preserves in a line across the top of each piece of bread to resemble a “stripe” of the flag.
5. Place the banana slices underneath the strawberry “stripe” to resemble the white stripe of the flag.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until you reach the bottom of the bread.