Pool noodles became extremely popular during the early 90’s and continue to be a very popular pool accessory. They arrived on the scene in the late 1980’s. Pool noodles are still a hot item on the North American market today. Nowadays, pool noodles are used for many different purposes. Check out these 10 cool things kids can do with pool noodles and try some of them too!
10 Cool Things Kids Can Do with Pool Noodles
- Goal Post- Grab up some pool noodles to make a goal post for the backyard. You will need a minimum of four noodles. Two for the ends, one for the crossbar, and one to cut into sections to add onto the ends to secure them to the goal post. Making it this way will enable you to adjust the height as you see fit.
- Wicket Game– You can make a wicket game with pool noodles. The posts will be made of pool noodles that you have cut in half and curved for the post. You can go one step further and even make the wicket bat out of pool noodles. Use a tennis ball or air filled rubber ball to knock through the wickets.’
- Race Track for Marbles– Split a pool noodle in half to make a race track for marbles. Use an old shoe box for the marbles to fall into at the end of the track.
- Patterning for Preschoolers– Pool noodles are great for preschoolers and kindergarteners. Use different colored pool noodles cut into pieces and have the children thread them onto heavy twine in a color sequence.
- ABC’s and 123’s– Preschoolers and kindergarteners can develop their fine motor skills by stringing pieces of pool noodles that have either the alphabet or numbers written on them in permanent marker.
- Make Cupcakes– Have a bin of cut pool noodles handy in a preschool or kindergarten setting. You could also do this at home if you happen to have a play kitchen. Kids can make cupcakes out of cut pool noodles topped with circles of felt and a colorful pompom.
- Make a Wreath-You could easily make a decorative wreath using a pool noodle. Grab some fabric strips and wrap them around the pool noodle. Accents can be bought from the Dollar Store in order to personalize the wreath. Kids will enjoy making one for their bedroom door.
- Pool Noodle Flowers– Grab some pipe cleaners, some floral tape, and some bumpy pool noodles. Cut them into small circles and use them as the floral center for a bouquet. Wrap the pipe cleaner in green floral tape and insert into the side of the pool noodle shape. Kids can write a message on the individual shapes or leave them blank. Makes a wonderful Mother’s Day Craft.
- Ring Toss– Make a ring toss game out of several pool noodles. Two for the poles and several pool noodles taped together for the circle targets. Have the kids toss a pool noodle from a distance to see if they can get it through the hoop.
- Stamp Painting– Kids will enjoy stamp painting with cut pieces of pool noodles. Make sure that you purchase some that are made of different shapes, along with some paper to stamp their design. Don’t forget to also pick up children’s craft paint.