Breakfast is said to be the most important meal of the day and on the days you are going to be on-the-go, these Pumpkin Waffle Sandwiches will be a healthy breakfast to fuel your little athlete. Embracing the fall harvest and sourcing meals with fresh and seasonal foods will be easier on your budget and provide your family with the nutrients they need for game day.
Pumpkin is packed with vitamin A, which plays an extremely vital role in bone growth, immune system health, and vision. Keep your eyes sharp on the field or court with pumpkin-packed dishes. The beauty of these sandwiches is in the fact that once you make them – you’re out the door! The pumpkin waffles sandwiches are a great healthy breakfast option and they extremely portable.
Related: Recipe: Cherry Berry Cake
You Will Need
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 hearty pinch of salt
1/4 cup of pure maple syrup
1/2 cup of pureed pumpkin
3/4 cup of milk
2 tablespoons canola oil
For the Filling
6 tablespoons reduced fat cream cheese (also known as Neufchatel) – room temperature
1 teaspoon maple extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. In a mixing, bowl combine all the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Mix well.
2. In a second mixing bowl, combine wet ingredients: eggs, syrup, pumpkin, milk, and oil. Blend until smooth.
3. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until fully incorporated.
4. Heat the waffles iron and spritz with your cooking spray.
5. Pour 1/4 of the batter into the waffle iron and cook thoroughly. The waffle should be golden brown and have slightly crispy edges.
6. While the waffles cool, blend cream cheese, maple extract, and cinnamon until smooth.
7. Cut the waffles into 4 equal sections.
8. Spread the cream cheese mixture onto one side of the waffle.
9. Press a second section of the waffle together to make the sandwich.
Related: Fall Recipe: Homemade Apple Crisp
These breakfast sandwiches are quick and easy. Not to mention, they are bursting with flavor! Pumpkin pie fans will request this healthy breakfast creation that uses smart amount of natural sugar for some sweetness so your player will feel great and have the fuel their body needs.