Whether this is your first time breastfeeding or your fifth time breastfeeding, every nursing experience is completely different. Breastfeeding is something special between the mom and baby, but you can never have too many tips when it comes to making that bond last for many months to come.
1. Take the pressure off of yourself- After you’ve had the baby and everyone wants to give you advice about how and what you should do. Take a deep breath and take the pressure off yourself. Stress will prevent you from feeling successful in your breastfeeding relationship.
2. Work on getting a good latch- If there’s one thing that’s important to a successful breastfeeding relationship, it’s the latch. Focus on getting a good latch because that’s the key to not having sore breasts and healthy suckles from baby.
3. Make sure you’re relaxed- Did you know when you’re relaxed, it’s easier for baby to get relaxed? Plus, your milk flows better when you are not tensed up and stressed.
4. Don’t be afraid to ask for help- When it comes to breastfeeding, it can be tough. However, there are tons of different breastfeeding resources for women to use.
5. Keep the right tools on hand- Along with the beauty of breastfeeding comes the not-so-fun-parts. You’ll want to make sure you have the right tools on hand. Having some sort of breastfeeding pillow is one way to make nursing a lot easier. You may also consider a nipple cream and breastfeeding pads.
6. Give it time- It takes time to establish a good breastfeeding relationship with your little one. You might leave the hospital feeling frustrated, but make awesome progress while at home.
7. Drink lots of liquids- It can be tough to remember to take care of yourself whenever you have so much responsibility in a little one. Drinking lots of liquids is your key to staying hydrated and keeping your supply up.
8. Concentrate on good things- While breastfeeding, it’s important to concentrate on “good things.” Think about your baby and how wonderful being a mom makes you feel. Staying positive can help make the breastfeeding experience even better.
9. Pump and store breastmilk correctly– Storing breastmilk can be confusing. It’s important to know how to refrigerate breastmilk, how to freeze it, and how to unthaw it.
10. Enjoy every moment- You will have moments in breastfeeding that make you wonder what you got yourself into, but it’s truly worth every moment. Ways you can enjoy breastfeeding a little more is by putting down your smartphone and making eye contact with baby. You can also stroke baby’s hair or hold his or her hand to help make even more of a connection.
What is one breastfeeding tip you have for new moms?