With summer around the corner, I look to make recipes that don’t require me to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I like making sweet treats during the summer, but I’d rather spend my free time outside! Plus, who wants to turn on the oven and make the house hotter on a blistering summer day?
These Chocolate Peanut Putter Bars are not only yummy, but the perfect spring and summer treat. In my opinion, the bars contain one of the best snack ingredients – peanut butter and are super easy to make. Kids will love coming in for a snack to eat these after a couple of hours of fun play outside!
1 C. finely ground oatmeal (I used our food processor to grind the oatmeal)
1 C. powdered sugar
1/2 C. butter, melted
1/2 C. creamy peanut butter + 2 tbs.
1 C. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1.Line a 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish with foil or parchment paper.
2. Combine the oatmeal and powdered sugar.
3. Next, add in the melted butter and peanut butter and stir well. The mixture will be slightly thick, that is OK.
4. Press the peanut butter mixture evenly into the bottom of the baking dish.
5. Place the semi-sweet chocolate chips and 2 tbs. of peanut butter into a microwave safe dish. Heat in 30 second increments, stirring until completely melted.
6. Pour the melted chocolate and peanut butter mixture evenly over the top of the bars in the baking dish.
7. Place in the refrigerator for several hours allowing the bars to harden.
8. Once hard, cut into squares.
*Makes 9 large squares or 18 smaller squares. Store in the fridge.