Immersion Reading With Audible

Immersion Reading With Audible

We recently discovered the fun and learning of Audible and Amazon together. Specifically Immersion Reading, where your child can read a book and listen at the same time while audible highlights the words. It is giving my child a confidence in reading that he didn’t know he could have by boosting his comprehension and retention- making books come alive! Check out how to add Audible narration HERE on Amazon. Immersion Reading is specifically geared to those with reading challenges like dyslexia. Basically, you are combining the best of two worlds – a Kindle ebook and an Audible audiobook to give your child a richer reading experience.

If you have a beginning reader, a struggling reader, a child with a reading challenge, or just want to see them improve here are some facts you should know about reading while listening that will give you an idea of all the benefits…

85% of what we learn is by listening

Reading while listening improves comprehension by 76%

Students can listen and comprehend 2 grade levels above their reading level

Listening while you read improves reading accuracy by 52%

Want to give it a try too? Here is what you do….

audible5

Step 1-Head to Amazon and choose a book, there are a ton of great choices. Make sure you check off If you already have the book move on to step 2…

Immersion Reading With Audible

Step 2-Add the audio companion to the book, you can do this right in the Amazon store.

Step 3- Switch between book, listening to the narration, or read and listen at the same time.

You can also sync your book and narration so that no matter what device they pick up to read with- smart phone, computer, or tablet they can pick up where they left off.

Right now Amazon has over 200 kids titles geared for ages 6-12 with the read-aloud feature that is deeply discounted for a limited time so you want to take advantage of the deals ASAP! We found a lot that we put immediately on our list, here are our top 10

1. Diary of a Wimpy Kid

2. Frindle

3. The Tale of Despereaux

4. Space Taxi

5. The BFG

6. Hatchet

7. Charlotte’s Web

8. Holes

9. James and the Giant Peach

10. The Indian in The Cupboard

After we downloaded a couple books on the list and the Audible narration he dove right into reading and listening and he was hooked on this new experience! He started out with Diary of a Wimpy Kid and I loved that he sat and devoured almost an hour of a book before moving.

Immersion Reading With Audible

Check it out today and get a 30 day free trial that comes with a free download! I think in those 30 days you will be amazed at the improvement in your child’s reading comprehension, fluency, and accuracy-even with the most reluctant of readers. After that it is just $14.95 a month, definitely worth it!

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Audible. The opinions and text are all mine.

Comments

1. says

We use these programs in Immersion schools and they really benefit those kids who are struggling with the French language, or language in general. If my own kids were struggling, I would purchase this in a heartbeat!

2. says

I also started downloading Audible books and I listen to them while driving to work. It’s a great way to make use of time rather than just listen to pop music over the radio. Students can make use of this to help them with studies.

3. says

This is AWESOME! I had no idea that you could download audible books on Amazon with Immersion reading! Wow! Game changer for the summer and reluctant reader. Thanks so much! Off to try the trial now!

4. says

It’s so important to combine playtime and learning when it comes to kids. I’m always trying to encourage my kids to read and fall in love with books. This sounds like a great app that’s useful for exposing kids to the joys of books.

5. says

I have yet to download an audible book. I should try it out. We have an eight year old granddaughter that loves to read to her little sister. I could see them enjoying an audible book together before bed.

6. says

I’ve honestly heard so many great things about audible, but never thought to use it as a tool for children! What a great idea! Granted, I would have to wait until my son learns to read in a couple of years but I hope it will still be around by then because that seems like a great resource to use. Thanks for sharing!

7. says

This sounds like an awesome learning tool for kiddos. I want my child to enjoy reading as much as I do. Yet, I know reading struggles would prevent that. This might just be the solution.

8. says

As a Reading Specialist, I love the idea of reading immersion with audible options. Anything that gets kids comfortable with reading is great in my opinion. Will have to look into this for my kids.

9. Kathy says

I think this would be great for my girls. One of my daughters already knows how to read some words, just not the bigger words. My other daughter is going to be learning soon.

10. says

This is definitely a great way to keep the kids engaged in their books. It’s easier to process everything when you get to hear it as well. It’s good to know that there are programs like this for the littles.

11. Rebecca Swenor says

Immersion reading with audible is amazing for children. This post I am going to have to share with my sister and nieces for their kids. I love how they can read along with what they hear. Thanks for sharing the information.

12. Kendall says

I love Audible! It’s so great especially for people who blow through books super quickly! Great post!

13. says

My kids love reading and some of the books on that list are their favorites! I am going to have to check into this because i think it would be perfect for my kids!

14. says

My niece has always had difficulties with reading and would often try to avoid it. I’ll have to tell my sister about Audible so she can have my niece try it out. I’m sure it will help her enjoy reading books.

15. Lisa Bronson says

My kids would love this. My daughter love books and im all for it! I might have to check it out for myself

16. says

What a great way to help kids that are struggling with reading. I’ve loved to read ever since I was in preschool and I’m probably one of Amazon’s best customers when it comes to downloading books.

17. Lisa Jones says

I Never Knew About These Statistics, I Think My Girls Would Like This As They Enjoy Reading And It Would Help Them Move Up In Reading. They Have A Awesome Selection For Kids I Will Be Checking This Out!

18. Stefanie C. says

Audio books are really awesome and I think my kids would really enjoy this. The statistics shocked me and am glad to see something like this is helping grow reading levels.

19. says

We do loads of audible books in my home because my daughter does have some sort of reading issues. We have had her evaluated, but they keep telling us she is fine. But I love the idea of audible with being able to “see” the words as well. I think this would aide in memorization and recognition

20. says

It is so nice that technology is being used to help people with disabilities. It is a good idea to get kids engaged with books. So often dyslexic children equate books and learning with frustration. What a wonderful product.

21. Bonnie @wemake7 says

This sounds great for the kids. They love all those titles and I can’t wait to sign up for this 30 day trial.

22. says

Audio books are so beneficial for people who are just learning to read and write. I love that these options exist because actually hearing the correct pronunciation is very important.

23. says

This doesn’t just make reading fun for the kids but it also makes it easier for them. Most kids lose their confidence in reading because of the intimidating words but I’m sure audible will help them regain that confidence! It’s really nice.

24. says

Oh wow how cool is that, this will be reading good for kids learning to read or adults re-learning. I love the idea behind this