So, we’ve put it off for over 6 months and it’s finally time to baby proof!
Before you think that we are awful parents because we waited this long…I will say that we actually registered for baby proofing items and did some of it before baby arrived. We put in the basics like the corner cushions, outlet covers, door handle covers, a baby gate and cupboard latches.
The reason for our urgency is because I was in the kitchen the other day and Baby C was in his walker when I heard a strange crunching noise. I looked over and he had walked around the living room table, grabbed our DMV paperwork and started munching on the corner of it. Eek! Needless to say, we decided that we seriously needed to spend this long weekend picking up things, putting things away and most importantly putting away all my hair pins that were everywhere!
Honestly the thought of baby proofing is pretty daunting, which is why we put it off for so long. We even had to Google tips on baby proofing. LOL! I wanted to share some of the tips we learned and that we will be implementing this weekend.
– Put safety hooks for cords on blinds and curtains or install child safe window coverings (Place crib away from window)
– Install latches on medicine, kitchen and bathroom cabinets
– Put a toilet lock even though you have a door handle cover on the bathroom
– Put nonskid pads on the bottom of rugs
– Make sure pictures or wall hangings are secure
– Put baby gate at the top and bottom of stairs or anywhere you don’t want them to get into (possibly kitchen too)
– Make sure all the electrical outlets have covers
– Check batteries on smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
– Pick up small objects like coins, buttons, rings, hair pins that could be a choking hazard
– Check and restock first aid kits
I know these tips sound pretty simple but it is amazing how much we actually had to write down on our to-do list.
Feel free to comment and let us know what else we are missing!